The largest pavilion in Europe
Bjelovar was founded in 1756 by the decree of the Austrian Empress Maria Theresa. That year, Eugen Kvaternik Square was created, which changed its name throughout history. First it was called “Parade Platz” and then “Maria Theresa Square” (Trg Marije Terezije), “Unity Square” (Trg Jedinstva), and with the independence of Croatia it got its current name.
The square is of a rectangular shape. In the centre of the square there is a park now divided by paths, and in the beginning there was a meadow with a linden tree avenue. Around the well statues of St. Jelena Križarica, St. Ivan Nepomuk, St. Theresa of Avila and St. George were mounted in 1778. With the arrival of the communists in 1945, the statues were removed and returned around the year 2000. They represent the patron saints of certain military units in Bjelovar.
The park on Eugen Kvaternik Square received the award for the most beautiful park in continental Croatia. There are about 40 species of trees and shrubs in the park (mostly non-native species). The predominant trees are those of the wild chestnut. Various events are occasionally held in the park, the most famous of which is Terezijana, held on the second weekend in June.
One of the most recognizable symbols of Bjelovar is the pavilion in the centre of the park – which is also the largest stone pavilion in Europe.